IN SEARCH OF TRUTH AND WISDOM - PART 2
Siddhartha (Buddha) Gautama – Birth Chart
Although there are varying conjectures about his birth year it is generally accepted that Siddhartha was born at midday on a Full Moon in April/May. UNESCO has his birth year as 623BC at Lumbini on the border of India and Nepal; there is a tree in Lumbini which is said to be the tree under which Siddhartha found enlightenment. (Supposed dates for his birth include 642BC and 563BC as well as others dates but I think 623BC rings truest). In 623BC the Full Moon in May was on the 15th of May as shown below:
Regardless of the actual year Buddha’s birth chart must have a Taurean Sun (which would be his Ascendant Ruler) close to the MC indicating a natural ease and affinity with authority. His public presence is then strained (opposition to Moon) by an emotionally intense need to nurture (Moon in Scorpio) which springs from an innermost intuitive understanding of emotional origins (Moon conjunct IC) and was activated when Siddhartha finally ventured outside the palace walls.
Points of note in the proposed chart - 15th May, 0623 BC 12.00pm:
• The emphasis of personal development towards a higher learning (all personal planets except Moon in the 9th House; Mer=Sun/Ven, Jup/NN).
• Difficulty coping with everyday life (Neptune in 6th) and conflict between his visions for the world (Venus in Aries 9th) and his ability to rationalize his daily life (Venus opposite Uranus 3rd House) in line with his visions (T square Venus/Neptune/Uranus).
• A serious approach to metaphysical phenomenon and a strong interest in personal relationships (Saturn on 9th cusp BiQuintile Moon; Sat=Mars/Pluto, Ven/Jup).
• A penetrative and expansive concern with metaphysical phenomenon (8th House Jupiter in Aries and Pluto in Pisces) and the ability to apply this understanding to daily routines (Nep sextile Jup/Pluto; Pluto trine Moon).
Buddha left the palace at age 29 which would correspond with his Saturn Return (on the 9th cusp) at which time Neptune is transiting natal Jupiter, Jupiter trine natal Neptune, Uranus trine natal Uranus and sextile Mars, the North Node conjunct Uranus and natal Sun conjunct Pluto:
The profound nature of Siddhartha’s Saturn Return is well represented in a Composite of the natal chart with the Saturn return chart:
Siddhartha achieved enlightenment at age 35 and since the importance of the solar return is increased in Buddha’s chart due to it being conjunct the MC, I have overlaid this time with the proposed natal chart. Notable transits at this time are:
- Pluto conjunct Venus activating the Uranus/Neptune/Venus T square – potentiating a breakthrough in the understanding of relatedness.
- Uranus transiting conjunct 8th house Pluto in Pisces with Saturn transiting square – insight and change in empathetic understanding of the material orientation of the world around him.
- Neptune and Venus straddling natal Saturn on the 9th house cusp – an emphasis on empathy and relatedness as being the most important focus of daily practical perfunctory routines (Saturn ruling the 6th house and Neptune occupying the 6th).
- Jupiter in Pisces transiting the 8th sextile the Sun – the opportunity to teach others on a public flat form as an outlet for creative personal expression (Jupiter rules the 5th and the natal sun is on the MC).
There are many other profound dates and charts surrounding Buddha’s proposed birth date and although conjecture will continue in regard to the actual date of his birth, it is well to remember Lois Rodden’s use of the XX rating: ‘Historic figures or certain current news figures may be of interest even with speculative birth dates.’
Since Buddha’s enlightenment is the climax point of his search for peace on the temporal plane, a Solar Arc Direction for that time should be significant:
Most noteworthy in the Solar Arc overlay is Pluto opposite natal Uranus and square Neptune – the T square which is at the heart of Siddhartha’s search for perfect relatedness. His awakening channeled through his meditation is represented by Mercury conjunct North Node and Jupiter conjunct Mercury. The Ascendant’s Solar Arc is almost opposite natal Pluto indicating a change in the way he is perceived by others and perhaps indicating that the corrected time of his birth is closer to 12.11pm rather than midday.